Monday 18 January 2010

Why stand as a Conservative in Gateshead?

There are easier places to stand as a Conservative than Gateshead. The hangover of memories from Margret Thatcher and the miners in the north east are yet to disappear. I spoke at a residents meeting in Bensham four years ago and one lady approached me at the end to tell me she agreed with everything I said but her family had always voted Labour and she would continue to follow in their foot steps.
I am not a glory supporter. I have resisted the attraction of applying for a seat with a more natural Conservative base because I have roots in Gateshead. Wanting to fix the problems I saw on my doorstep led me into politics in the first place. You can read my first posting in October for a full biography. If I loose the battle (the seat) but win the war by creating debate, challenging political inertia and highlighting issues ignored by dominant labour representation at both council and parliamentary level then we might see some change around here.
People in Gateshead still find it hard to trust the Conservatives even though the party has seen a great transformation under David Cameron. As a candidate I hope to be that new face of the party working hard for you to change your mind.
A vote for me is not wasted. Be part of the next potential Conservative Government. Together we can fight for change in Gateshead.