Friday 23 April 2010

Meeting with the Chambers family


Many constituents have contacted me via my blog and email. I have been doing my upmost to answer all questions and help with any problems people are having.

Ken and Shona Chambers contacted me because of an accident their son Michael had at a local swimming pool on a summer play scheme. Michael is aged 13 and has Rubinstein Taybi Syndrome, ASD and non verbal communication. Shona was called to pick him up after he fell and broke his leg. Shona says he was left over an hour before the emergency services were called and she still has not found out what happened on that day. His thighbone was broken and it was a life threatening injury. He is now reliant on a wheelchair almost two years later, and working very hard to walk again - but it is a long, slow and painful process. The whole family is evidently very distressed about the inconclusive report they received from the council. As a parliamentary candidate I would love to wave a magic wand and help them to get to the bottom of it. Unfortunately I do not possess one. What I can do is put this in the public domain and ask the council to meet again with Ken and Shona. The council is in general very supportive of Carers in our community. I hope they can move this case forward to reach an amicable conclusion.