Wednesday 14 April 2010

Immigration: Celebrating Diversity Whilst Controlling Immigration.




A few weeks ago I was speaking with a journalist from the BBC who wanted to interview an immigrant who would vote conservative and back our policy to cap immigration numbers. I can find them inside and outside of Gateshead without any problem. Most people I have spoken to on the doorstep what ever their background agree immigration has reached such an unprecedented level there needs to be tough controls or we will all suffer.
I have been involved in local politics in Gateshead for the last four years and I have always sought to reach out to all communities. My family has attended events run by the Gateshead Muslim association and invited them to parties at a local church. We have spoken to members of the Jewish community about their views on the way politics should be heading. And I have organised a Conservative social action event window washing resident’s houses in the streets of Gateshead with supporters from many backgrounds.
A vote for the Conservative party is a vote to celebrate diversity. However we also understand we need to reduce immigration and are proposing an annual limit on numbers, and only on the basis of skills shortages in the UK. We love our diverse community. We can protect it together with a tough stance on immigration.