Thursday 28 January 2010

Looking Forward : My diary for February & March

Gateshead and Blaydon association meeting Monday 1st February 7.30pm at the Lindman club Gateshead. Glen Hall, candidate for Blaydon and I, will be reporting back on our campaign progress and how you can help. Do come along if you are free. I would love to meet you there.

Ward survey- My team and I will be pacing some of the streets to survey a ward and see what we can help you with. I will blog the progress report here.

Springwell Precision Engineering- I have been invited to visit this small company employing seventeen people within the Gateshead constituency supplying the defence industry. I hope to arrange a visit at the beginning of February. This will enable me to see how Gateshead, business and defence are mutually linked. I am sure it will bring into focus broader issues including the war in Afghanistan and how it connects into Gateshead.

Visiting the Oasis centre youth project, (see my earlier posting) a NECA initiative helping those with alcohol, drugs and gambling addictions. I will be visiting their youth project as one of the outcomes of my last visit was the need for politicians to understand the importance of supporting youth groups to keep kids off the streets and out of trouble. Prevention is better than cure!

Making contact with leaders of Gateshead’s faith communities and relevant secular bodies is one of my priorities for the month of February. I would like to hear first hand how different communities are co-existing and interacting in Gateshead and discuss all other relevant issues including the rise of the BNP .

Contacting Tesco’s and the council – will they talk to me about the city redevelopment? I will let you know!

Arranging to attend the street association set up at Claremont Place, Bensham, to see how residents are changing their own street together!

Visiting and helping Wendy Morton in Tynemouth, a fellow Conservative candidate standing in the general election. She has been running an outstanding campaign, working hard for residents and drawing in both private enterprise and public services to assess their work and needs. I am keen to learn everything I can.